Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Stories of Whit and me, Part One

Today I almost lost my best friend of eighteen years. She isn’t even thirty years old. I have anticipated loss but never for her. In 7th grade, I first met her at the welcome back to school dance through a mutual friend. I honestly thought she was a snooty bitch. Oh, you are going to look at me like that, get lost then. Then the mutual friend who had boys all over her ended up getting all the dances and left us just to dance with each other; tall, lanky girl and a girl with coke bottle glasses and sweet ass bangs. I guess we’ll just bust our sweet dance moves together. Well, mine were pretty sweet, hers needed some help. Do I stay by her while she dances like that?What kind of dance moves are those..... I thought to myself. I asked her what her name was? She tells me it’s Whitney and that  we have math together and aren’t you the girl from England with the weird name no one can say? Aww, yes, we have math together. Yes, my name is Jordanne but you can call me Jordie. Okay, Jordie, do you have to raise your hand for every question and sit in the front row everyday in math? I felt almost hurt, like I said snooty or  snotty at this point. I liked being in the front and learning in math. We still didn’t say much to each other at through the whole dance, we both just didn’t want to be alone and when our friend finally came back we were relieved that we didn't have to talk to each other much. The following weeks we would be cordial to each other in math, but both not say too much in front of our mutual friend. She was the leader. My birthday party was shared with the mutual friend that year. Mine being the end of September and hers being the beginning of October. The boy I had been “going-out with” dumped me at this joint birthday party. I was mortified. My 13th birthday and I was dumped and who for??? Whitney. It hurt. After that, we didn’t talk very much, seeing as though we all were in the same class with this boy. Halloween finally came around and a huge group of us went to a haunted house. Since it had been a few weeks and this was Jr. High I think Whitney didn’t want to go out with the boy anymore. Everyone else had a crush so it was just her and I to get scared with no one to grab onto. We held onto each other through the haunted house and kinda just joked about it. We both had a soda with the intent of getting hyper. Because, when your a thirteen mormon girl that’s the cool thing to do. At least we thought so. That night we clicked, and I had laughed more than I remember in a long time. This girl is fun, and I like who I am when I am with her. 
We ended up having  a sleep over at mutual friends house and we goofed around all night and annoyed the hell out of everyone else. It’s pretty much been that way since. The next morning we both new we wanted to be friends, with or without mutual friend girl. We had lots of sleep overs, and stayed and played at each other’s houses. She still had boyfriends who were annoyed by us, but I didn’t want a boy to touch me so I was always the third wheel. We watched classics like “Superstar,” and “Drop Dead Fred.” Her home became my second home and vice versa. I got more acquainted with the Utahan way of things and Whit got used to English people and my Grandma’s curry. We grew a mutual love of the Backstreet Boys with the understanding that I liked Brian and she got AJ. Her room was wallpapered Backstreet Boys pretty much, while I thought a few posters to stare at would suffice. It pretty much stayed this fun loving, lets get hyper and be stupid all the way through high school. We decided in 10th grade when we were going to prom that we were going to take a fart machine. Hahaha. Oh man, it was super great. We started a little bit at dinner, one of us would press the button and the other would look surprised and say excuse me. Always catching the other off guard to be okay with owning that particular fart. We each had a couple farts through dinner, and then prom and then at the after party everyone lay around in a group of about 12 watching a movie. I  still did not want a guy to actually touch me and had a guy friend trying to move in to kiss me and Whit cozy with whomever her boyfriend was at the time, I tried to play up the farts and a stomachache. Half way through the movie our guy friend lost his shit on us. He told us we were the most disgusting girls ever and he didn’t know how he was our friend, we had ruined his prom. The funny thing is, this particular guy was the boy we both “went-out with” in 7th grade. He had become a best friend to both of us, so he really shouldn’t have been surprised. We finally owned up to the fart machine and everyone seemed a little more relieved but we knew that we were the most hilarious girls, like ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment